Myths & Facts about Public Assistance with the Cost of Nursing Home Care in North Carolina

January 04, 2019

What do I do with my loved one's home?


Myth: My mom needs to go into a nursing home (long-term care) and intends to apply for public assistance to assist with the cost of care. If she gets her name off the title to her house and other assets right away, she’ll qualify for assistance.

Fact: The general rule is that any transfer of property (e.g., house, car, money, etc.) during the 5-year period immediately preceding the time a person goes into nursing home long-term care and applies for public assistance will result in a penalty period during which the patient will be ineligible for assistance and must private pay for her care. Exceptions may apply.

- Wyles Johnson, Board Certified Elder Law Specialist

The rules applicable to Medicare and Medicaid long-term care benefits are exceedingly complex. White & Allen, P.A. is proud to offer an attorney whom is a Board-Certified Specialist in Elder Law and experienced staff to navigate and advise you, your family and friends on all your Elder Law issues. Please call us at (252)-527-8000 or email If you would like to request more information concerning rights of the elderly living in North Carolina and special programs for them, please contact us for a complimentary information booklet entitled "Senior Citizens Handbook” published by Project Grace (Young Lawyers Division and Elder & Special Needs Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association).


It is never too early or too late to plan for your future.